November 8, 2013

Nomnompaleo's green chicken whole30

So the easiest organic protein for me to get is Costco chicken. They do have thighs but I never think to get them. Therefore ... another chicken recipe!

Looking around, I found nomnompaleo's Green Chicken.

It's a sauce / marinade made with a ton of green herbs:
  • 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1 cup packed cilantro leaves and stems
  • 1 1/4 cups packed basil leaves
  • 1/4 cup packed mint leaves
  • 4 tablespoons of  Red Boat fish sauce
  • 3 peeled garlic cloves
  • zest of 1 lime
  • plenty ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of Aleppo pepper
  • 2 tablespoons of apple juice (or 1 teaspoon of maple syrup if you’re not on a Whole30)
  •  Kosher salt


  • This is for 4-6 people, so I halved it and it was still a lot. 
    I used pineapple juice vs apple. This was my error. 
    I didn't realize how acidic this the juice was and I marinaded the chicken for a while. Sad. 

    1. Onions and Garlic on the bottom (just like the nomnom's). This was also an error. I thought it was too oniony. I should have added them at the or halved this amount and then added to taste. 
    This is half a medium sweet onion ... it was too much. 
    2. All my greens! Washed and dried. So good!
    I got the basil and mint from my garden! 
    3. Zest, zest, zest.
    Lemon was from my aunt's garden!
    4. Not as pretty as nomnom's but hey it worked.
    It was green but not as green as nomnom's. :( 
    5. Into the oven.
    I added a bit of extra on top
    6. The end result. It was OK. Again, too much acid and it turned out a bit mushy. Perhaps this is meant for dark meat only.
    It was yummy, a little extra minty for my taste. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment