November 6, 2013

Roasted butternut squash goodness whole30

I'm pretty obsessed with nomnompaleo's recipes. I even bought her app to support such greatness.

This was a big winner: Roasted Butternut Squash. I read a lot of reviews and it seems like a lot of people enjoyed the results but were not very happy about peeling and cutting up a squash.

Enter Costco:
Go costco!
That's right, they sell this stuff precut AND organic! I love costco. 

I didn't have lard so I used ghee (I purchased it off of amazon since I couldn't find it at any grocery store, even whole foods). 

Looks weird but it's very easy to use - and delicious!

I threw the squash cubes in a bowl, added three big spoons of ghee on top and toss the two together. The ghee kind of sticks to the squash so you can tell what pieces have butter and which do not. I laid it on the baking sheet and then sprinkled the salt, pepper and hot paprika. Stuck it in the 400 degree oven. Pushed it around at the half way point and then took them out at 45 minutes. 

Hmm...looks just like taters.


The ghee doesn't burn like butter does!


Brown crispies were the BEST!

At first I was a little sad since some were really brown and I was worried they were burnt. Those were the best ones! They came out like chips and I couldn't stop eating them! Delicious. The rest were also good but  not as good as those brown suckers. 

FYI: these were not as good the day after. I think I need to roast them again to get that goodness to return. 

So far, I've used them as a hash - pan fried up some sausage, added the leftover squash and waited for it to crisp up a little. Added a fried egg on top. That was a good meal (add some spinach to make it a better whole30 meal). 



No comments:

Post a Comment