December 10, 2012

Egg in a Turkey Basket with Cheese and Spinach



After the success of the Egg Muffins I had been making them off and on for awhile. But I saw this cute egg cup on Pinterest and thought I would give this version a try. The deli meat essentially holds the full egg together with whatever other ingredients you want to add. I chose spinach and swiss cheese!

Turkey slices in the muffin tin
Simply put the deli meat slices into the muffin tin (I doubled up since we use thin sliced meats). 


Add the other ingredients you would like in your egg in a basket (I used chopped spinach and swiss cheese). Ignore the other muffin tins, I decided to make egg muffins to freeze in the spare muffin tins. 



Then add an egg to each deli meat basket. So good! (FYI: the egg muffins were just egg whites, cheddar and spinach). Pop them into a 400 degree oven for 12 minutes and you're done! 


I topped them with salt, pepper and some parmesan cheese. 


Hm...with easy crusty bread. So perfect together.


I actually cooked them for 13 minutes. I regret this. I love a good runny egg and they were a little over cooked for me. If you like a more set egg yolk (like in this picture), then I would suggest 13 minutes.

I served it with fresh baked Easy Crusty Bread which I made with olives in it! We had an amazing brunch!

I made the spare egg muffins since I wasn't sure how well the egg yolks would freeze (or how safe that was). Have you ever frozen slightly runny egg yolks? Does it turn out OK when you reheat?


Baked Egg Cups From Thesimpledelights.com
12 Eggs
12 thin slices of deli ham (round)
1/2 Cup of your favorite cheese (I used Parmesan)
1/2 Cup diced scallions
Fresh cracked Sea Salt and Pepper
Preheat the oven to 400.  Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.  Lay a piece of ham in each hole creating a little ham cup.  Crack one egg into each hole and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake the eggs for about 12 minutes…until the white is firm and the yolk is still nice and runny.
Carefully remove each egg from the muffin tin and top with grated cheese and scallions.  Serve hot!  Yield: 12









No comments:

Post a Comment