November 6, 2012

Slow Cooker Asian Style Beef Ribs

We had people over to watch some college football and I decided to attempt Crock Pot ribs. I saw this recipe on Pinterest and after making such a great pot roast, I figured this method should work really well for fall off the bone ribs as well. 

Well, it worked but it was very salty. 

Here's my story....
The post that started this experiment: city girl chicago's crock pot ribs. Look at her pic of delicious, fall off the bone ribs with a good crust: 

Goal ribs from Citygirlchicago.com
But her recipe: 
4 lbs ribs (I used beef flank ribs, but short ribs work too)
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup gluten-free soy sauce
1/2 cup water
5 whole jalapeno peppers

Sounded very much like Asian marinade that I make all the time. So, using her version as a base, I added to it green onions, ginger, mirin, oyster sauce and red pepper flakes. I marinaded the meat over night in this mixture and then grilled them quickly for five minutes on each side. Put it on top of onions (similar to the pot roast method) and then cooked them on low for 6 hours. The meat was juicy and fell off the bone but the asian marinade was just too saltly. I had probalby two cups of soy sauce but I also added a lot of water. I believe to make this recipe work, I should have kept the liquids to the total amount of CityGirlChicago's portions. :( That way it mainly steams in the marinade and does not sit in it. Lesson learned. 


My Ribs

They were on sale! 
In marinade over night

After grilling for five minutes on each side, I put the ribs in the crock pot on a bed of onions and poured the marinade over the meat

Right out of the Crock Pot
So good even salty! The meat was tender and delicious and fell off the bone. Yum! 

I will definitely try this again and update this post if I have success. At $7 worth of meat, I think I can afford a second try and my friends still enjoyed the meal! 
Recipe: 
2-3 lbs ribs (I used beef flank ribs)
2 cup gluten-free soy sauce
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon of chili flakes
1/2 cup mirin
1/4 cup of oyster sauce (to sub for the sugar)
3-4 green onions, chopped
1 onion for the base of the crock pot

Add all the ingredients besides the onion together and marinade over night. The next day, grill meat on both sides for about five minutes a side. Cut onion into 1/2-1" slices and place on the bottom of crock pot. Place grilled ribs on top of onions and pour marinade over the meat. Cook on low for at least six hours. 

I also, broiled the meat for about five minutes to create a crispy crust. 



No comments:

Post a Comment