November 19, 2012

Whiskey - Our first Pappy Van Winkle


My husband and I enjoy a good glass of whiskey. We will always have a bottle of basil hayden, bulleits and maybe an oban. Our house whiskey is maker's which we use in our more common drinks or with mixers.

I enjoy whiskey almost as much as I enjoy wine because of both have a flavor element that changes with the manufacturing process. I find it almost a challenge to try different varieties in order to test my palate and see what flavors I find vs my husband.

We first heard about Pappy Van Winkle from another good friend who is also a whiskey fan. He had a taste and highly enjoyed it. But it was rare to find. So when we went to a new restaurant and noticed that they had Pappy, we decided to have a taste. Our two ounces cost $25 for the cheapest variety which is the rye. The 20 year was a $50 taste (which we plan to get on a different occasion, by the time we noticed that they served Pappy, we were already two drinks in).

Though dry, it was a very smooth whiskey. It has a high alcohol concentration (95+ proof) so it was an amazing whiskey to allow to evaporate on your tongue while the flavors mix on your tongue. I also encourage you to bloom the whiskey after your first few tastes. It changed the elements to an almost sweet flavor. Very cool.

I can't wait to taste the 20 year!





No comments:

Post a Comment